HITTING & INFIELD SPECIALTY INSTRUCTOR & COACH
- 10U-18U Infield Specialty Instructor -
13U (Black) Coach
Mike "Alex" Smith attended school at Indiana University on scholarship and was drafted in the 5th Round, #146 in 1992 by the Texas Rangers. He was the 1st and only Division I Player to win the Triple Crown leading the nation in batting .490, HR with 27 while knocking in 95 RBI's. Alex played within the Texas Rangers Organization for 5 seasons finishing up at AAA Oklahoma City. Alex has been an instrumental part to developing our young athletes with their footwork, fielding & hitting. He spent 5 years within the Texas Rangers Front Office as the Assistant Director of Player Development with the responsibility over the Minor League System, players and their development. Alex currently is the Sr. Vice President over Occupational Wear at Williamson-Dickie Manufacturing Company.
- Indiana University baseball scholarship and Texas Rangers professional baseball player
- “Sporting News” College baseball player of the year.
- “The Rotary Smith Award College Baseball's Player of the Year” winner vote on by national sports writers and college coaches.
- Big-Ten player of the year
- Currently on the ballot for the College Baseball Hall of Fame
- Indiana University Hall of Fame inductee
- 1st team consensus All-American
- Golden Spikes Finalist – finished 3rd
- 1st and only player in NCAA Division 1 history to win the College Baseball Triple Crown; 490 batting average, 27 HRs, 95 RBIs. Led the nation in all three categories, plus slugging percentage.
- Big-ten Triple Crown winner. Big-ten batting champion two straight years
- Currently holds 11 Indiana University single season and Big-Ten batting records
- Indiana University Record Holder: 1st in Avg. (.490), HR (47) & SLUG % (1.490), 3rd in Hits (270, 4th in Runs (202), RBI (185) & Triples (16)
- Drafted in the 5th round, #146 in 1992 by the Texas Rangers
- Played five seasons in the Rangers system, finishing up at Triple AAA Oklahoma City.
- Spent five years in the Rangers front office as the Assistant Director of Player Development. Responsible for the minor league system, players and their development
- Received years of hitting and infield instruction from many of the game’s best coaches and instructors
- Specialty is infield play and hitting instruction
- Played Shortstop at Indiana and moved to 2nd base in professional baseball.